Burning The Candle At Both Ends

Last weekend was fantabulous. I flew down to Florida last Thursday to visit some family near the Pensacola area. It was a special time. I got to see family I hadn’t seen in 8-9 years. Whew, I’m old! My godfather/uncle retired after 30 years in the United States Marine Corps (oo rah!). Then my godbrother person graduated from high school. Aww…such a good boy! I got to meet my other godbrother’s new wifey.

Because I’m a creeper prepared, I mapped out a run to do in their neighborhood. It was a small 2.25 mile loop. Friday morning I woke up before the birds to run; I did the loop twice for a nice 4.5 mile run. Then it was off to the retirement ceremony. Very very nice ceremony. A real tear jerker it was. Although, when it comes to the military, it doesn’t take much to make this girl shed a tear or two; for happy or sadness.


Fun story: I was almost left behind. We went back to my aunt and uncle’s house…which was an overloaded one. There were only 21 people hanging out there. NBD. We were planned to go on a dinner cruise that night. I went up to my room and called B to chat with him and get all mushy with the love stuff and suddenly I heard my aunt yell out that she’s leaving to pick up some stuff and that she was going to meet the other 20 people at the boat. About 2 minutes later I heard…nothing. No talking, no TV, no noise. I walked downstairs (still on the phone) and saw no people. Then I saw the front door locked. Yes. I was locked inside. I popped my head out and everyone was leaving! I said, “hey! who am I riding with?!” And I got a taker…after offering some money. I’ve only seen the Gulf water once when I went to Key West 2 1/2 years ago. And that water in that Gulf is nothing like the Atlantic. It’s clear in the Gulf!


That night I stayed up til 2 am and I was reminiscing on old times with my ol’ boys in tha hood. It was good. Saturday morning I was up and at ’em at 8:30…just not for a run. We had to leave because we had to drive and run over people deal with traffic to get the boy to his graduation. Jeez. Talk about a clusterfluck. What should’ve been an hour drive took us almost two. Anyway, the ceremony was good. Short and sweet. I suppose it had to be since there was another high school graduation going on 2 hours after theirs started.

That night we went to a place called FloraBama which was super cool. We left my aunt and uncle’s place at 10:30 and didn’t get there until 12 since one of the cars had a flight tire on the drive out there. Always fun. Anyway…I let loose and got my drink on…not too much though. I did want to stay coherent. Plus I think alcohol is a waste of calories, but whatevs. There are no calories after midnight, anyway. So we danced the night away and had a great time. We left at 2:45 and got back around 4:15 am. I had to wake up around 8 to get ready to go to the airport to catch my 10:15 flight. Needless to say, both my 45 minute flights were spent sleeping.

Oh..and my dog really is like a child. She can fall asleep in the weirdest positions.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s